Power Apps is a collection of apps, connectors, and services that also serves as a data platform and offers a quick development environment for creating unique apps. For example, we can create fantastic business apps that link to your data using PowerApps.
Power Apps for app makers/creators
Using Power Apps, we can create three types of applications :
- portal Application.
Ref Link: make.powerapps.com.
Canvas apps are created using the app designer PowerApps Studio.
You can specify the sitemap and add components in the app designer to create a model-driven app.
In addition, the WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) design tool Power Apps Portals Studio allows you to add and customize web pages, components, forms, and lists.
Power Apps for Admins
Administrators of Power Apps can establish and manage environments, examine Dataverse analytics, and access support for PowerApps and PowerAutomate using the Power Platform admin center.
Power Apps for developers
Developers are those who can develop the code for creating and customizing commercial apps. The programmers can use the code to produce data and metadata and combine specialized apps and connections into your website’s user interfaces to create comprehensive solutions.
- Dataverse developer
- Model-driven apps developer
- Canvas apps developer
PowerApps Canvas: Canvas apps let you express your creativity by building custom online or mobile applications that can use extensive queries and modification if necessary.
Model-driven PowerApps: Unlike Canvas apps, model-driven PowerApps confine design to preset layouts and components.
PowerApps Portals: It’s basically like a website where any user may view information without logging in thanks to PowerApps Portals, which develop externally facing web portals like communities and customer support portals.
Licensing for PowerApps
Three user interfaces are available for PowerApps: Three paid versions of PowerApps premium licenses are available.
Plan for PowerApps Per App
This is still licensed per user and application under the per-app Plan, with a cap of one application. A portion of your users may be approved using a per-app arrangement. Permission to use the Dataverse CDS as a data source with a minimum capacity enabled.
Each app costs $5 per user per month.
Per-User PowerApps Plan
Allows an infinite number of apps with monthly user licensing.
Permission to utilize the Dataverse CDS as a larger-capacity data source has been enabled.
$20 per user, per month.
“Pay-As-You-Go” Consumption-Based Plan for PowerApps
This new strategy is intriguing for organizations. In this case, the licenses are dynamically charged based on the number of active users per month. You can use the pay-as-you-go plan and pay for active monthly users if your organization has 1000 users, but only 100 of them use the app every month.
Steps to create New Canvas App
1. Go to make.powerapps.com and log in with your credentials.
2. There will be three options for Canvas, Model Driven, and Portal when you click on Apps in the left navigation panel and New App in the top navigation bar. Which type of app you wish to develop should be determined by your needs.
3. According to the needs, we may create the Canvas app for a tablet or phone. The screen size is the primary distinction between them. If you are diligent, you can use the Tablet App designation to construct an app that adjusts the controls’ size and features for a mobile device. Two distinct app categories are more of convenience than necessity.
To ensure that everything on the screen is adjusted following the device’s size, you can only design one sort of app, most likely a tablet app.
4. Your application is prepared for development after you click the Create button. By default, you will only see one screen where you can begin the story.
5. Each application can have many databases attached to it, and you can add as many Power automate flows as you require. Power apps don’t have databases, but you can store data in a collection or variable as a temporary storage option.
Steps to create new Model-driven applications
Sign in to Power Apps
Sign in to Power Apps with your credentials.
Choose the Environment
Your company’s business data, apps, and flows may be managed, stored, and shared by users in a PowerApps environment. The environment also serves as a container to separate apps with potentially different target audiences, roles, or security requirements.
Each environment can only support one Dataverse database.
By heading to the Power Platform admin center, you may either select the environment you want or create a new one. You can choose the background by clicking Environment in the upper right corner of your App.
Create your model-driven app
- On the left navigation pane, choose Solutions and New solution.
- Give your solution a display name, such as PowerApps Training POC. The account table that will be a part of your model-driven software can then be added.
- In your solution, click Add existing, then, if necessary, click Table. Alternatively, you can create a custom table.
- Select the Account table from the Add existing tables page, then click Next.
- After choosing Include all components, choose Add.
- Choose New, App, and Model-driven app from the solution’s drop-down menus.
- Give the application a name, such as a test model Driven POC, and click Create.
Add pages to your app.
Next, you add a new page to the model-driven app.
- Select a New page from the Pages menu.
- Select Table based on view and form, and then select Next.
- Select a table, such as a Contact or an Account.
The table you have selected, i.e., contact form and view, appears in the pages menu.
- Select the Contact view and select Add picture to add a new perspective.
- Select the views that you want to add to the application. Then Save and publish to see the selected pictures in the preview.
- Click the app designer command bar, and select Save.