It is not commonly known that there are two different kinds of WordPress. One WordPress.com and other is WordPress.org, with each serving a different function. Let’s first understand about WordPress. WordPress is a free, most popular, website creation platform. WordPress is a Content Management System(CMS) and it is written in PHP that uses a MySQL database. WordPress is easy for beginners and powerful for developers. WordPress is merely the underlying software that performs content management systems. This is the first thing we should know about. Even as a beginner anyone can use wordPress and can start building any type of website. WordPress is a versatile Content Management System and excellent Website creation platform for a variety of websites. Using WordPress one can develop a blogging, e-commerce to e-learning website. WordPresss initially started out as a blogging platform in 2003 but soon transformed into a website builder and CMS. It is also known as web publishing software. WordPress is used by more than 75% including well known entities like the White house & Microsoft.
WordPress.com- “.com”stands for “Commercial”. WordPress.com is a platform for building your own website. Using WordPress.com hosting is great. If you create a website using WordPress.com all you have to do is put together your site and WordPress will be responsible for getting it online. WordPress.com basically is a proprietary blog hosting provider and it is not directly related to WordPress.org. WordPress.com is 100% free and an external hosting is not needed and even an external domain name is not needed. In WordPress.com you will only be required to create an account, WordPress.com takes care of all of the web hosting for you. In WordPress.com you do not have to download software, pay for hosting and even WordPress.com manage web servers for you.
There is a drawback to having WordPress.com is that your domain will have a WordPress.com at the end of your site. An Example of this would be like xyz.WordPress.com. This type of domain may not be a problem for a developer when starting out, but when it comes to seeing that you are still using the free version of WordPress.com. WordPress.com also offers four available are between ₹280, ₹640, ₹
- Along with these three paid options the developer will get some better features such as:
- Jetpack Essential Features
- Email and Live Chat Support
- Advanced Design Customization
- Hundreds of free themes and many more
The developer will have a choice that he can choose a custom domain. In this case you will easily customize your website this means that your website will not have WordPress.com at the end of it.
- WordPress.com is completely free. You do not have to pay for the use of it.
- It is easy to set up and quick installation. You do not have to worry about coding and hosting. This is a very simple and guided process in comparison to WordPress.org. WordPress.com provides 3 GB of free space and a subdomain all you have to do is start using WordPress.com and create an account.
- WordPress.com is the best choice if you want to start your own blog with all the features.
- WordPress.com customization is easy. WordPress.com allows the developer to customise but only to a certain extent. It is important to note that it allows certain points such as fonts and colours. Customisation of themes and templates are not allowed and the key appearance.
- To use upgrade and advanced customisation features a certain amount will have to be paid.
- There is a restriction to use of plugins when you use WordPress.com. Plugins help to make your website much more functional and attractive. It means that you will not have the use of plugins when you use WordPress.com.
- Limited number of free themes for you to choose from. In WordPress.org there are much more and in a large number of free themes to choose from.
- In WordPress.com you do not have your website files which means that you can’t customise it. This is one of the major key differences between WordPress.com and WordPress.org.
WordPress.org – “.org” stands for “Organisation”. WordPress.org is a website that allows us to download the WordPress software and install and host your own website.
WordPress.org does not come with free hosting; you will have to look for a host and pay for it. There are many web hosting companies out there and they have different web hosting packages and prices. You would have to research which of these companies and packages works best and best suits for your needs.
More importantly what features are available with each hosting plan.
WordPress.org provides more features as compared to WordPress.com.
But you may need to do a bit of coding to make your website more functional and attractive. WordPress.org offers you a lot more control over your website.
In WordPress.org your website will not be online until you get the host. WordPress.org does not offer the same support that you get from WordPress.com but you can have good support when you have a good hosting plan.
- It is completely free to download.
- Use of plugins is allowed in WordPress.org unlike WordPress.com.
- There are a large number of plugins and themes for blogs and as well as for the creation of websites, compared to the limited choices you get when using WordPress.com.
- In wordPress.org the developer has unlimited customisation potential as in WordPress.org you have all your websites document you can do with them as you choose.
- You can do much more on WordPress.org than on WordPress.com as stated above you do not own the content on your site or blog.
- You will have to pay for the web hosting to set up your website
- You are responsible for updates. you can easily update your WordPress site by simply clicking on the update button, and you will have to set up and install WordPress yourself with little to no support. Like all websites you will need web hosting.
There are many more differences between WordPress.com and WordPress.com and each has its pros and cons. Hope it is a little more clear with this blog!